Monday, October 31, 2011

English 5387: Publications Management - Progress Posting 8

Question: Working with your XML document from last week's posting exercise, create a DTD and a basic CSS. You may embed your DTD in the XML document. For the CSS, create the stylesheet as a separate file and add a line to reference it in your XML document.

My XML file with DTD and linked CSS is available at http://www.scruffypuphotdogs.com/author_notice_css.xml. The CSS itself is available at http://www.scruffypuphotdogs.com/author_notice_format1.css. My CSS is far from where I want it to be, but I feel that it fits the constraints of the blog spot. I need to do some more work to get some of the functionality that I desire, for example, pulling in the @type in sec as the heading for each section, altering the after punctuation for the last author/last editor, creating a handing indent, making functional links, etc.

For this type of functionality, I feel that I need to explore XSLT further. It will likely take a combination of XSLT and CSS to create my desired products. However, for the final assignment, I may need to move away from XML because of technical limitations and create the two products in more familiar ways to get the functionality I need for the web product and for the printer-friendly product.


Note Added on Tuesday, November 1: I have continued to make some changes to the CSS since I initially posted it on October 31 and will continue to make changes.

Second Note Added on Tuesday, November 1: Firefox will allow you to use a :before CSS command with your root note, as will the browser in my phone. IE, Safari, and Chrome will not.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home