Monday, July 12, 2010

English 5365 - Internet Writing: Week 6 Post Topic

What does your set of commonly used social media and tools say about you as a participant of the human + machine culture? Give examples to illustrate.

My set of social media is actually fairly limited. I use Facebook and that's about it. I signed up for Facebook because one of my college friends said that another college friend was on Facebook. I make it a rule to only accept Friend requests from people I know face-to-face, so my circle is actually fairly limited. This keeps me feeling a little safer than accepting requests for networking, even though I know that nothing is truly secure. Though, I do have some Friends on there from high school and college that I haven't seen in years. I started our playing the games, but recently deleted all of my games because they started to annoy me.

I signed up for Twitter while taking Web Accessibility and Disability Studies. I think that you could count my tweets on one hand. I actually have 3 blogs: one LiveJournal blog that is largely inactive but still up, my weight-loss blog (more cathartic for me than expecting an audience), and this blog.

I participate in two message boards actively: Metal Mouth message board, which is a board for people with braces, and the Weight Watchers message board, which is self-explanatory. I used to participate in the SoulCysters message board but have not done so recently.

What does this say about me as a participant in human-machine culture? I think it says that I expose myself to the world more than I realize. I try to keep settings private on Facebook, but I have 3 blogs. The message boards on which I participate reveal that I have braces, a weight problem, and a chronic medical problem.

I am not fully emerged in the human-machine culture. I would rather go for a walk in the park than play a walking game on the Wii. I didn't like Twitter because I felt that it was pointless, and I stopped liking Facebook games because they took to much time from my real life. On the other hand, I am happy to use the human-machine culture where it benefits me by giving me information that I need or support that I can't find elsewhere.

I spend 8 hours a day staring at a screen at work, so what I choose for my free time, by default, must be more selective.

2 Comments:

Blogger Bea Amaya said...

Nice overview, Jessica. I am one of those that is totally immersed in the h+m culture, but after reading your post, I am rethinking the how and when of that relationship and wondering what drove me to that point. If it was my environment, then I should expect to see my involvement drop off as I am in a place and deal with people who have no such interactions. If it was in response to my needs, then I should expect my involvement to continue, or perhaps even grow as I feel the need to reach out to those who can satisfy my own needs. Just rambling a bit now, I realise, but did want you to know your posting has me thinking. So, thanks!

July 14, 2010 at 7:57 PM  
Anonymous Craig Baehr said...

This is a great snapshot, and a very honest portrayal of your experiences and disappointments in the world of social media. Your answer to the question is equally honest and sounds like it is an important realization.

July 15, 2010 at 1:50 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home