Monday, July 5, 2010

English 5365 - Internet Writing: Week 5 Post Topic

As a technical communicator, what tools comprise your toolset? What advantages do they have over other tools? What one dream tool would you add to your list (something you'd like to learn)?

The tool that I use most often is called Arbortext XML editor. This is program that my employer chose to create our end-to-end XML workflow. Generally, what we see looks very much like Word, but it is backed by multiple internal enhancements specific to our product and our DTD. In addition to Arbortext, we use a variation of Documentum, of course, greatly enhanced by our talented IT staff. Without these two programs, we could not do our jobs, though I am certain that my employers could use other programs if they chose, and I would learn how to use whatever programs were mandated.

At home, I use a Mac Mini on which I have Word, Excel, Powerpoint, iMovie, and most of the standard software. In addition, I use RapidWeaver and MacRabbit’s CSSEdit to build webpages because I simply cannot afford DreamWeaver. I used Scribus for my Document Design class as well as GIMP, and I feel pretty comfortable with both. I prefer open source and freeware programs for personal use because they fit within the constraints of my budget. I have experimented with OpenOffice on my laptop because I only have one license to Microsoft Office.

I have used a combination of Powerpoint and iMovie to make presentations in the past, but I would like to learn some of the more sophisticated presentation software, if I can obtain it affordably. I would also like to learn about LaTeX because so many of our authors choose to use it. I have no experience with the program because we have never loaded it on any of the work computers.

I am sure that there are many programs that I will need to learn before my career is over, but I have learned that a basic understanding of how tags work and a certain fearlessness when it comes to menu exploration are key to quickly learning a new program and incorporating that knowledge into daily use.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Jessica,

I'm an Arbortext partner and long time member of the Arbortext community. I keep an eye out for folks working in Arbortext. I see that you're using ATX + Documentum. I'd love the chance to speak with you and possibly interview you for the Arbortext Community Voices podcast.

Let me know if you'd be willing to talk.

Thanks,
Liz

July 6, 2010 at 1:25 PM  
Anonymous Craig Baehr said...

Sounds like open source tools are prevalent in your personal toolkit. Since you are experienced using XML editors, for your Web pages, you might consider using HTML editors as another alternative to using expensive Web development programs.

July 8, 2010 at 3:01 PM  
Anonymous Craig Baehr said...

Open source tools seem to be a significant part of your toolkit. Since you are comfortable with XML editors, for Web sites, you might consider some HTML editors as another alternative to expensive Web development software programs, too.

July 8, 2010 at 3:03 PM  
Blogger Jessica Badger said...

Liz, Thanks for your interest. I would hesitate to get involved with such a project without the permission of my employer.

Dr. Baehr, Thanks for the comments. I have done some raw coding for parts of web pages before. I do like to see the finished product before I load it.

July 8, 2010 at 8:52 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home