Monday, June 14, 2010

English 5365 - Internet Writing: Week 2 Blog Assignment

What new media theorist, which you have read (either avidly and/or recently) would you want to read further? What ideas, concepts, books, and articles interest you most and why?

This is one of those questions that makes me feel out of sync with my classmates. I am not even sure what defines a New Media Theorist. One of the detriments of being a working adult in school is that I read what I need to read for my classes, paper research, and work, and precious little else, so I decided to look into what a New Media Theorist is for this blog.

I located PDF titled New Media Theory Primer by J. Bardzel at Indiana University. Bardzel states, “New media theory is an intellectual discipline that examines the nature, roles, and functioning of new media objects (that is, works) in their cultures.” Bardzel indicates that the dividing line between new media theory and old media theory seems to be rather vague and that you can read hundreds of definitions of new media theory and new media theorists that are not quite the same although they are similar.
I would assume that the New Media Theorist is on who studies these complex definitions if not one who makes them up. I would also assume that a New Media Theorist would be involved in word-smithing or what I like to call “acute wordification” as they move forward crafting words to suit their definitions, often new words for old concepts that had perfectly good words already. (Can we tell that I don't care for wordification? It gives me no end of problems at work.)
I work in a field where we embrace scientific change, yet making a technological change is like turning the Titanic. I would like to see work on how New Media Theory impacts those who change slowly, those who are required to make a reliable product for their consumers. I am certain that I will learn more about New Media Theory as I work through the readings for this class and the additional readings that I will need to keep up with my classmates.

2 Comments:

Blogger Bea Amaya said...

Ah Jessica. Thanks for admitting that you struggled with this as well. Researching (googling) "new media" and "new media theory" kept me busy for hours. Although I learned a great deal, I still struggled with finding substantial works (LOTS of blogs are out there!) and authors who clearly fit into the "new media theorist" role. It is comforting to know I am not the only student coming in to the class who is a real "newbie" at the topic!

June 14, 2010 at 10:48 PM  
Blogger Jessica Badger said...

Comment from Dr. Baehr:

A good starting place is with anyone we've read so far. And feel free to cast your net broadly--anyone who has published a scholarly book or articles on the topic of media, both old and new, might be considered a new media theorist.

June 21, 2010 at 8:20 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home