Saturday, February 28, 2009

Week of 3/2 Blog Post: Podcasting

This week I was collecting examples of podcasts. I actually have four examples that I would like to share.

The first one is Dr. Fitness and the Fat Guy. This is an audio podcast. The hosts have an interesting banter that keeps it from becoming monotonous. I found this because I was searching for a Hungry Girl podcast. Lisa Lillien (Hungry Girl) appeared on the podcast that I chose. It is, however, a longer podcast, so it requires commitment from the listener. At this length the podcast must be packed with useful and entertaining information to retain the audience and make them come back for more. I admit that my attention started wandering long before I got to the Lisa Lillien portion. This one is much like a morning radio show, starts out entertaining and then becomes irritating.

The second one is Brain Stuff "How can I gain pounds during the day and lose them at night?" This podcast is also an audio podcast. It is much shorter than the first one is provided interesting information. The host invites you to send him a message to ask questions, thereby providing interaction.

The third one is a video podcast from Cook's Illustrated called "Perfecting Pear Crisp". It shows the viewer how to make a pear crisp. The video is well shot, and the speaker speaks clearly, although rather quickly. The length is excellent, and the pear crisp catches my interest because it looks delicious. They also issue an invitation to visit their homepage to learn more.

The fourth one is also a video podcast. This one is from Scientific American and is called "The Geysers of Enceladus". The videography of this podcast is amazing. The voice is rather quiet, but it fits in with the theme of the video. It does not issue and invitation, but it does show the branding at the end.

I found my podcasts by searching within iTunes; the links will direct you to the main page for each group's podcasts. I enjoyed vieiwing th podcasts. I have specific interests which probably show in my choices.

2 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

I've enjoyed the Scientific American podcasts--very well-produced, as one should expect from SA. My major quibble is that the series title's a little misleading... I mean, it doesn't have to be exactly 60 seconds long, but most of these are at least four times as long as that. And the video's of SUCH high quality that it took me forever to download a single episode.

March 1, 2009 at 2:01 PM  
Blogger Rebecca said...

Very cool, like the variety in the podcasts you have chosen. I really want pear crisp now also - it does look delicious!

March 7, 2009 at 7:37 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home