Tuesday, January 27, 2009

RapidWeaver

To any of my classmates with limited funds and a Mac, I used a program called RapidWeaver to create my website. I paid $49 for RapidWeaver at the Apple Store in Easton Town Center and upgraded it on the website to the latest version for free. To buy the latest version on the website is $79. I also downloaded additional scripts and plug-ins for free.

I like Rapid Weaver, but I have never used Dreamweaver either, so I can't really compare. I created the website listed in the post below entirely using RapidWeaver. I did run into some challenges, but I went to the Forum on the RapidWeaver site and searched my problem to find the answer. I found the answer easily each time. I still need to work on modifying the website below, but I am confident that I can do it with RapidWeaver.

According to the RapidWeaver website, "The RapidWeaver Sandwich file format (.rwsw) is a completely open file format. We call them "RapidWeaver Sandwiches" because it's easy to open them up and see the filling. In the Finder, they’re viewed as normal ‘bundles’ however inside it’s all developer-friendly XML.

This allows anyone to add new pages or modify settings outside of RapidWeaver, and more importantly gives third party developers the opportunity to write new and exciting products based around the RapidWeaver sandwich format. File formats have never looked so tasty!"

I thought that I would share this in case any of my classmates also looked at the price of Dreamweaver and choked a little.

3 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

I, too choked at Dreamweaver. I don't have a Mac, but would remind folks that TTU has assorted software agreements that allows students to download certain software and packages for free. (SharePoint, Expression Studio, etc.).

http://www.depts.ttu.edu/itts/software/

Worth checking out if you don't want to shell out big bucks and don't have confidence in some of the open-source apps that are available (SeaMonkey and others).

January 27, 2009 at 10:09 AM  
Blogger CSL said...

Thanks for the suggestion, Jessica. I'm a Mac user, but I hit a sale and got the entire CS3 for $300 when I purchased my last Mac. I made the purchase, and the software has been on my bookshelf ever since! (How embarrassing!) So I'm learning Dreamweaver but am interested in other options. And I'm going to visit your site now. How exciting!

January 27, 2009 at 9:55 PM  
Blogger Rich said...

Yes, FrontPage is available for free through TTU for TTU students. Looking forward to seeing a draft of your site, Jessica.

February 2, 2009 at 6:13 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home